Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sweater Refashion-- Hat and Mittens




The inspiration:

It is very cold out. So I decided to make a hat and mittens!

Out of an old sweater:

Turn the sweater inside out. I used another hat to get the outline and then cut about one inch around the line. I would recommend pinning before you cut so the pieces stay together. I'd also recommend using the bottom of the sweater as the bottom of your hat so you don't have to hem the bottom.


Then just sew that sucker together and turn it right side out!

Try it on for size. See if it has weird ears.

Re-cut and re-sew.


Now onto the mittens. Trace your hand. I was able to get one mitten out of the body of the shirt. The other I had to take from the sleeve, which I cut open and folded in half.

   

   
Pin and cut.
Now take the cuff from the original sweater and cut those to however long you want the cuff of your mitten to be.

Now it gets a little complicated. Keeping the mitten pinned, flip it right side out. Flip the cuff inside out, roll it onto the mitten and pin.

Sew together and flip the cuff down.

Flip back inside out and sew the mitten part.

Then do the same thing with the other mitten and voilá!

Warm, cute, homemade and upcycled!! All my favorite things!

I decided to add some fabric puffs to the hat to spruce it up a bit too.

Go start sewing and be warm!




Linked up at:


No comments:

Post a Comment